Sunday 19 June 2016

Image Compression with Single value decomposition.

Image Compression with Single value decomposition.

I recently learnt about SVD (Singular Value Decomposition) and the example application our lecturer gave was image compression.
I thought this was pretty neat so I made my own in python.
(I was so close to doing it in C, but I couldn't be bothered)

I got one of my mandelbrot images and compressed that, so sit back and enjoy the soothing sights of highly compressed mandelbrot.

Original:



One singular value: (Highest compression)




Here's a few more, increasing by 1 value each time
















After having fun with compression, I decided to play around with changing the singular values a little and found some interesting results





I made the following 2 by only taking every second value of the decomposition:


This is my favourite :)